The mission of the ACGME is to improve health care and population health by assessing and enhancing the quality of resident and fellow physicians' education through advancements in accreditation and education.
We envision a health care system in which the Quadruple Aim* has been realized. We aspire to advance a transformed system of graduate medical education with global reach that is:
- Competency-based with customized professional development and identity formation for all physicians;
- Led by inspirational faculty role models overseeing supervised, humanistic, clinical educational experiences;
- Immersed in evidence-based, data-driven, clinical learning and care environments defined by excellence in clinical care, safety, cost-effectiveness, professionalism, and diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Located in health care delivery systems equitably meeting local and regional community needs; and,
- Graduating residents and fellows who strive for continuous mastery and altruistic professionalism throughout their careers, placing the needs of patients and their communities first.
*The Quadruple Aim simultaneously improves patient experience of care, population health, and health care practitioner work life, while lowering per capita cost.
- Honesty and Integrity
- Accountability and Transparency
- Equity and Fairness
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Excellence and Innovation
- Stewardship and Service
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Engagement of Stakeholders
Read a summary of the ACGME Strategic Plan